Festivus, MLK and My Dad
Winter did not go away. I just spent 30 minutes with a pick-axe (OK, with a shovel) hacking 1-1/2 inches of solid ice off my steps. It is still snowing.
Why can't it ever just snow anymore? Why must every snow be preceded by ice? Is this some new weather trend? Some cosmic joke? If I wanted to live in the tundra, I'd move to Chicago.
Enough whining. This is not a weather-whining post. This is a festive post because I lost FOUR POUNDS this week! Wahooooooooo! Happy day. All I had to do was give up beer and go on Weight Watchers. Technically, one can still have beer on Weight Watchers. However, I tried that in the past, and I found that beer consumption dramatically altered my motivation. "Oh what the hell" became the prevailing attitude. Such an attitude is not conducive to weight loss. This I have learned.
Anyway, today is the birthday of Martin Luther King. In honor of such I want to mention this quote, from a speech he gave the day before his assassination:
Today is also the birthday of another great man. My dad would have been 67 today. I like to think of him in that promised land with Martin Luther King and all the great people that have gone before us.
Why can't it ever just snow anymore? Why must every snow be preceded by ice? Is this some new weather trend? Some cosmic joke? If I wanted to live in the tundra, I'd move to Chicago.
Enough whining. This is not a weather-whining post. This is a festive post because I lost FOUR POUNDS this week! Wahooooooooo! Happy day. All I had to do was give up beer and go on Weight Watchers. Technically, one can still have beer on Weight Watchers. However, I tried that in the past, and I found that beer consumption dramatically altered my motivation. "Oh what the hell" became the prevailing attitude. Such an attitude is not conducive to weight loss. This I have learned.
Anyway, today is the birthday of Martin Luther King. In honor of such I want to mention this quote, from a speech he gave the day before his assassination:
Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!
And so I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
Today is also the birthday of another great man. My dad would have been 67 today. I like to think of him in that promised land with Martin Luther King and all the great people that have gone before us.

4 Comments:
Dad and MLK are hanging out together in that big jacuzzi in the sky.
I can see them both looking down here from their spot in heaven and smiling at you as you wrote this!
This ice storm is awful!
Yipee for losing the weight ... that's great! Happy birthday to your Dad, he always knows you are thinking of him!
We've had it Cold out here too ... ok, of course not like you but, hey we are breaking records!
Weight Watchers...gees, I should probably do something like that. I don't want to give up wine because I like it so much, but you're right: once you've had a glass or two of alcohol, the "what does it matter?" thoughts take over. Sigh. Still, four pounds in one week is fantastic!!!! Congrats!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home