Your Opinion, Please
First things first: Yesterday's visit went really well. He apologized to me, as I expected he would. I'm going to let the rest of the details percolate in my mind for a while before I write about them...if I write about them. But I will say that there was no animosity between us. And I'm glad. I don't need that burden on my spirit.
OK. I want opinions. We're thinking about taking a little vacation in November. Just Paul and I. We're going to lunch in a few minutes to discuss it. Here are the possibilities:
Germany and France (Alsace Lorriane region):
Pros: Would be a ton o' fun, picturesque, haven't been there, could visit "our" vineyard and Taize.
Cons: Lots of work to pull it off, babysitting issues, jet lag, expensive
New York
Pros: I've been to so many world capitols, but somehow I've never been to this one. Nephew Michael is there, so he could show us around.
Cons: I'm a little afraid to go there.
Boston
Pros: I love history, and would expect to find a lot there.
Cons: It might be snowy
San Francisco:
Pros: I've heard it's beautiful, good gardens and birds
Cons: Not sure it'll be interesting.
San Antonio:
Pros: Hmmmm.
Cons: Feeling very lukewarm about this one.
Mexico:
Pros: Warm, something a little different and foreign
Cons: Can't drink the water, we don't like to do the beach-thing
What do you think?
OK. I want opinions. We're thinking about taking a little vacation in November. Just Paul and I. We're going to lunch in a few minutes to discuss it. Here are the possibilities:
Germany and France (Alsace Lorriane region):
Pros: Would be a ton o' fun, picturesque, haven't been there, could visit "our" vineyard and Taize.
Cons: Lots of work to pull it off, babysitting issues, jet lag, expensive
New York
Pros: I've been to so many world capitols, but somehow I've never been to this one. Nephew Michael is there, so he could show us around.
Cons: I'm a little afraid to go there.
Boston
Pros: I love history, and would expect to find a lot there.
Cons: It might be snowy
San Francisco:
Pros: I've heard it's beautiful, good gardens and birds
Cons: Not sure it'll be interesting.
San Antonio:
Pros: Hmmmm.
Cons: Feeling very lukewarm about this one.
Mexico:
Pros: Warm, something a little different and foreign
Cons: Can't drink the water, we don't like to do the beach-thing
What do you think?

10 Comments:
let's see...what would MPM do?
uh, Germany/France
let's see, what will jovi say...
uh, Boston
let's see...what will LJS say?
uh, NYC?
my question is, where is Chicago on that list?! :)
You're RIGHT! I'd say NYC!
Another con about NYC is that after hanging out a bit, it could end up being as expensive as a Germany/France trip.
But think about the pros...Broadway, shopping, sight seeing. You'd also be catching NYC at the beginning of Christmas season, which is magical!
You are nuts. San Francisco is made for you!!! Pro - Easy to get to. It's a 3 hour plane ride direct on Midwest Airlines. Pro - Beautiful city. October and November are the best months to go weather wise. Pro- Super cool and tons of stuff to do. Pro- the most incredible gardens you will ever see in your life. Do a search for Golden Gate Park and for the Grenwich stairs. Pro - Beat culture is super fun. Haight-Ashbury district is right by Golden Gate Park. Pro - Incredible food. Pro - November is beautiful in San Francisco. Pro - Not that expensive. There is plenty to do that won't cost you that much. Pro - The bay and the Golden Gate bridge are a blast to see and to learn about. Pro - San Francisco was a major port in WW2, something I know you love learning about. Pro - You don't have to rent a car to see the city. The transit system is easy to use. I will throw in a con or two. There are many crazy homeless people that will hit you up for money.
Okay - to sum it up...Boston and NYC in November could be very cold. Germany is going to be very expensive especially when you factor in the current exchange rate. Mexico is great, but only if you're willing to go off the beaten path. Otherwise prepare for drunk stupid American tourists. If you do consider Mexico, consider Isla Mujeres.
or you could come to london then go on to Paris by the Eurostar?
i will admit to having a vested intrest in you coming to the greatest place in the world....
I concur w/ Susan...Europe would be $$ since the Euro sucks right now.
But, SF (at the Bay) was really cold when I was there in July...can't image Nov.
Ons sis pix East Coast, the other the West coast...go figure.
Should have guessed Cookie would say London...not on your list, but you'd go...
we'll see ya in Hermann :)
Yeah, the euro is insane right now. I'm painfully aware of that since Alex's student loans are in Euros. It's the main reason why waiting for his green card right now has caused us the most financial pain we've been in for a while (through August, he had his paid internship...now we just have me).
I've been to San Fransisco and found it fabulous. But then again, I'm very food oriented, and they have some of the best restaurants anywhere. I also liked doing a wine tour of Napa while there because it's not that far. I still would vote for France/Germany because, um, well, I'm biased. Alsace has some fantastic wines!
Bike - One thing about SF in July. Mark Twain once said that the coldest winter he ever spent was summer in San Francisco. But in the fall, it warms up. It sounds like Juanita may be leaning towards NYC, but sister, you do need to make your way to San Fran someday SOON!!!
Are you guys going to Hermann? Can I go??? When???
Boston. But of course, having lived in and loved Germany and France, I could easily vote for either of those.
S,
I knew that Twain quote would surface :)
L,
Yes, we're crossing the border to Mo. and heading to Hermann!
M
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home