My Non-Fiction Picks
At my last book club meeting, a friend asked me for my non-fiction recommendations. Her New Year's Resolution was to read four non-fiction books this year. Why four? Who knows. I can't imagine limiting myself to four non-fiction books. Anyway, the question got me thinking, and here is my list of non-fiction books, all of which I most heartily recommend:
"German Boy: A Child in War" by Wolfgang Samuel
"In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick
"Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster" by Jon Krakauer
"A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle
"No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in WWII" by Doris Kearns Goodwin
"Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II" by Robert Kurson
"Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser
"The Tender Bar: A Memoir" by J.R. Moehringer
"We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese" by Elizabeth M. Norman
"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt
"Truman" by David McCullough
"Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission" by Hampton Sides
Currently I'm reading "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Erik Larson, and enjoying it so far.
So there you have it. My non-fiction recommendations, until I think of some more.
"German Boy: A Child in War" by Wolfgang Samuel
"In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick
"Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster" by Jon Krakauer
"A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle
"No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in WWII" by Doris Kearns Goodwin
"Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II" by Robert Kurson
"Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser
"The Tender Bar: A Memoir" by J.R. Moehringer
"We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese" by Elizabeth M. Norman
"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt
"Truman" by David McCullough
"Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission" by Hampton Sides
Currently I'm reading "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Erik Larson, and enjoying it so far.
So there you have it. My non-fiction recommendations, until I think of some more.

4 Comments:
Very good list.
I can't wait until I'm back in a place where I can read lots of books. Brian and I were hanging out one night and reading. He had a book. I had a magazine. I thought it was a perfect metaphor for where we are in life. He assumes he has time for a book. I assume I'll be interrupted.
Soon...though...soon...and then I'll read Shadow Divers.
I am reading Devil in the White City...good book. Thanks Nants!
I just don't enjoy non-fiction as much as other stuff...unless it's on wine. So, I really loved Seasons Among the Winemakers of Southwestern France: Families of the Vine. I do plan on reading Angela's Ashes one day, but I'm not sure about the rest. We'll see what time allows me.
I'll have to write some of those down. I was frantically scanning your list for Devil in the White City. Glad it made it on there!!
I've read: Into Thin air and Angelas Ashes. Currently reading Devil in the White City ..ok, ok I've been reading it off and on for some time now, yes I like it , actually on the recommendation of "Jovi" but I'm trying to learn computer stuff when I have down time.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home