My Husband is a Superhero
To Little MJ, Dad is the ultimate superhero.
I realized this on Sunday, when my husband and my youngest, Little MJ, were engaged in their manly-bonding activities. The garage door opener was broken, and the men (ages 7 and 43) decided to fix it.
During this time of year, my husband is working around the clock. He might as well be out of town from Monday through Saturday. The poor guy gets up and works all day, all evening, and sometimes all night. He's a CPA, (which is a fine alter ego for a Superhero, isn't it?) Until the tax deadline, we will see very little of him, except for Sundays. He takes Sunday off until April 1st, at which point it's a marathon until the the final tax deadline on April 15.
On Sundays, my little MJ sticks close to his Dad. Normally they start the day with a nice breakfast, then we go to mass. Then Dad and the kids play some video games. Sometimes this takes several hours. Throughout the process, Little MJ stays within 12" of his Dad. No matter what Dad is doing, Little MJ is at his side.
This past Sunday, after a rousing video game fest, it was time to fix the garage door opener. Dad and the three youngest kids had been playing and having a great time when the announcement was made: "It's time to fix the garage door opener. Who wants to help?" Needless to say, David & Kathleen decided to pursue other activities. It was Sunday, a fine day to play. But not Little MJ. If Dad was fixing the garage door opener, then there could be no better activity.
First they went to lunch. Dad said, "I'm going to go get a refill on my drink." Little MJ replied, "I'm right behind you, Buddy."
(Is that hilarious or what?)
After lunch, the men came home and took down the old garage door opener and installed the new. It was a long and dirty job, and Little MJ had the black greasy hands to prove it. Although it took a couple of hours, and the weather was lovely, my little MJ preferred to wield the screwdriver and hammer with Super Dad.
Later, as I was putting the boys to bed, I noticed that Little MJ had taken off his pajama shirt and was sleeping in PJ bottoms only. I don't think it's coincidental that Super Dad sleeps the same way.
I realized this on Sunday, when my husband and my youngest, Little MJ, were engaged in their manly-bonding activities. The garage door opener was broken, and the men (ages 7 and 43) decided to fix it.
During this time of year, my husband is working around the clock. He might as well be out of town from Monday through Saturday. The poor guy gets up and works all day, all evening, and sometimes all night. He's a CPA, (which is a fine alter ego for a Superhero, isn't it?) Until the tax deadline, we will see very little of him, except for Sundays. He takes Sunday off until April 1st, at which point it's a marathon until the the final tax deadline on April 15.
On Sundays, my little MJ sticks close to his Dad. Normally they start the day with a nice breakfast, then we go to mass. Then Dad and the kids play some video games. Sometimes this takes several hours. Throughout the process, Little MJ stays within 12" of his Dad. No matter what Dad is doing, Little MJ is at his side.
This past Sunday, after a rousing video game fest, it was time to fix the garage door opener. Dad and the three youngest kids had been playing and having a great time when the announcement was made: "It's time to fix the garage door opener. Who wants to help?" Needless to say, David & Kathleen decided to pursue other activities. It was Sunday, a fine day to play. But not Little MJ. If Dad was fixing the garage door opener, then there could be no better activity.
First they went to lunch. Dad said, "I'm going to go get a refill on my drink." Little MJ replied, "I'm right behind you, Buddy."
(Is that hilarious or what?)
After lunch, the men came home and took down the old garage door opener and installed the new. It was a long and dirty job, and Little MJ had the black greasy hands to prove it. Although it took a couple of hours, and the weather was lovely, my little MJ preferred to wield the screwdriver and hammer with Super Dad.
Later, as I was putting the boys to bed, I noticed that Little MJ had taken off his pajama shirt and was sleeping in PJ bottoms only. I don't think it's coincidental that Super Dad sleeps the same way.

4 Comments:
that's pretty cute
sigh, what a great post
I love the, "I'm right behind you, buddy." Very sweet.
Ok, that's adorable! It makes me so happy to hear of little boys bonding with their daddies.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home