April 17...AT LAST!
At LAST! It is April 17, our private family holiday; second only to Christmas. It is the day my husband, the tax accountant, comes back to us. You know, tax season is like child birth. No matter how easy it might seem at first, there's always a lot of screaming at the end. (IF you're not on drugs...which I'm not...so insert a big, fat primal scream here.)
For the past 48 hours I've been feeling cheated. I would like to draft a bill and send it to my little congressional friends. The bill would eliminate these stupid, godawful extensions of the tax deadline past April 15. If every tax accountant's wife (or husband) wrote to their congressman, I think we could get the damn thing passed.
So. That's what's been on MY mind.
I had a dream last night that Anna had a baby, which made me...A GRANDMA. (Insert a second primal scream here.)
Let's see, what other random thoughts can I pull out here? I've figured out a way to get my teenage daughter to school on time. Coffee! She loves coffee. I've discovered she'll truncate her morning make-up routine and come down to breakfast much earlier if I make coffee. It's a win-win-win situation because although I don't drink coffee, I love the smell. However, it always seemed wasteful to make coffee simply for its aromatic qualities. But now, I make it and smell it, she drinks it and gets to school, and my hydrangeas get the leftover coffee. (Hydrangeas like coffee, it keeps them from drooping. Ha!) No, seriously, they're acid-lovers, so they do like to have a little cuppa in the morning.
If you're from the Boston area, stop reading now. Because you're having terrible weather and we're not. It's so beautiful here, finally. And, unless you've ever been the mother of a little boy, you can't fully appreciate the joy of springtime. Is there any greater joy than declaring "National Boys Play Outside Day" and sending your little guys outside for hours on end? Double the joy if one of your little guys loves to wear a baseball cap, having no idea how incredibly cute he looks? Especially with those little freckles across his nose? But best of all is when they come home, covered in mud and eyes sparkling...ready to tell you about their little boy adventures. And they're so dirty that you have to give them a bath, and THEN you have to clean out the bathtub? And finally, you put them to bed, and later you sneak back in, just to sniff their little heads when they're sleeping so sweetly after playing their little hearts out on National Boys Play Outisde Day.
Well. I've got to get going. I have many miles to walk this morning to make up for the beer I just might drink tonight, not to mention the chips and guacamole that might find their way past my lips. CELEBRATE! I am no longer a single mother of four!
For the past 48 hours I've been feeling cheated. I would like to draft a bill and send it to my little congressional friends. The bill would eliminate these stupid, godawful extensions of the tax deadline past April 15. If every tax accountant's wife (or husband) wrote to their congressman, I think we could get the damn thing passed.
So. That's what's been on MY mind.
I had a dream last night that Anna had a baby, which made me...A GRANDMA. (Insert a second primal scream here.)
Let's see, what other random thoughts can I pull out here? I've figured out a way to get my teenage daughter to school on time. Coffee! She loves coffee. I've discovered she'll truncate her morning make-up routine and come down to breakfast much earlier if I make coffee. It's a win-win-win situation because although I don't drink coffee, I love the smell. However, it always seemed wasteful to make coffee simply for its aromatic qualities. But now, I make it and smell it, she drinks it and gets to school, and my hydrangeas get the leftover coffee. (Hydrangeas like coffee, it keeps them from drooping. Ha!) No, seriously, they're acid-lovers, so they do like to have a little cuppa in the morning.
If you're from the Boston area, stop reading now. Because you're having terrible weather and we're not. It's so beautiful here, finally. And, unless you've ever been the mother of a little boy, you can't fully appreciate the joy of springtime. Is there any greater joy than declaring "National Boys Play Outside Day" and sending your little guys outside for hours on end? Double the joy if one of your little guys loves to wear a baseball cap, having no idea how incredibly cute he looks? Especially with those little freckles across his nose? But best of all is when they come home, covered in mud and eyes sparkling...ready to tell you about their little boy adventures. And they're so dirty that you have to give them a bath, and THEN you have to clean out the bathtub? And finally, you put them to bed, and later you sneak back in, just to sniff their little heads when they're sleeping so sweetly after playing their little hearts out on National Boys Play Outisde Day.
Well. I've got to get going. I have many miles to walk this morning to make up for the beer I just might drink tonight, not to mention the chips and guacamole that might find their way past my lips. CELEBRATE! I am no longer a single mother of four!

3 Comments:
The part about the little boys, and sneaking into their rooms later, brought a tear to my eye...you got it, spot on.
I can't wait to celebrate "National Boys Play Outdoors" day!!!
I'm so glad that your days as a single mother are over...and I'm not being facetious in saying that. I REALLY AM GLAD.
It's very shocking to see your husband on April 16 (on normal years). He's a shell of a human being.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home