Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Of No Interest Whatsoever to Anybody...

...But I'm posting it anyway.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I recently purchased a new washer & dryer. A good friend told me I was brave to buy the front-loading washing machine..."what if it springs a leak?"

Good question, my friend!

Indeed I asked the same question of the friendly Sears salesman. Unfortunately, I don't remember his reply. I was too mesmerized by the shiny washers & dryers and all their fancy features.

I do have a vague memory of deciding that the new "high efficiency" models were the best choice. Something about the water-savings caught my attention. I believe they said that a conventional washer uses 45 gallons per load, while the high efficiency (H.E.) models use only ten. Wow! What a savings! This washer will pay for itself in no time! And then there's the unavoidable fact that I like to stuff my washer to the gills. I thought the H.E. model which cleans without an agitator was a wise choice since I have broken my agitator multiple times. Evidently agitators don't hold up well when you overtax them. Believe me, I know.

And now for the embarrassing revelation, the confession which proves that I have no life whatsoever. I just spent ten full minutes watching my front-loading washing machine work. (It has a window!)

Here's the scoop:.. The clothes are not swished around in a tub of water like you see with a conventional agitator model. Instead they are moistened and tossed about, back & forth. Then they are spun at an incredibly high speed -- 1,000 spins per minute. After that the moistening & tossing repeats. It's really kind of fascinating. I'm not sure how they become clean. Maybe it's the high-power centrifugal force. Maybe it's magic. Maybe they aren't really clean!

In any event, I must agree with my friend: What if that baby springs a leak? I would have preferred a top-loader, but I was unable to purchase the top-loader H.E. machine because it was 1/2" too large to fit into my laundry room. That's right: one-half inch. In the end, I decided it was worth the risk. Now that I see how it works -- by moistening the clothes instead of soaking them, I feel much safer. And after all, it was my old, conventional top-loader which flooded my kitchen when the tub cracked. If this one leaks, the flood will only be ten gallons instead of 45. Now that's a good deal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurita said...

Mom's hasn't leaked for, um, 100 years. I think you're fine.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home